Students from India who have earned a BBA, Bcom, or BA degree may encounter challenges when applying to US universities for an MBA or specialised master’s degree. This is due to the fact that many American universities typically require 16 years of education for admission, whereas Indian students—aside from those pursuing B.Tech, B.Pharma, B.E, B.Arch, and MBBS—have a three-year degree after the 12th grade, bringing their total education time to 15 years than the typical 16 years.
Is your sleep in danger or is there a solution? The good news is that many prestigious universities (a list is given at the end) now accept applicants with 15 years of education as long as the student profile aligns with the requirements of the universities. Contrary to popular misconception, there are several top universities that make an exception and admit students with 15 years of study. So, the secret to success in this situation is to make a good short list of possibilities. Instead of assuming, students are encouraged to get in touch with their respective departments and universities.
Here are some things to keep in mind when evaluation your chances of studying in the US with 15 years of education-
- Credentials evaluation from NACES approved agency: You may be required to get your academic credentials evaluated by a NACES approved agency, like WES or ECE, that will review your documents and conduct a thorough evaluation of your academic credentials to determine their equivalency to those in the United States. The evaluation will typically include a course-by-course analysis of your academic credentials. The results of these evaluations are used by universities to waive off the 16 years of education requirement in many cases.
- NAAC accreditation: NAAC A accreditation is an important recognition for higher education institutions in India, as it indicates that they have met high standards of academic excellence and institutional quality. You may have an advantage if you graduated from a university with an NAAC A accreditation, such as Delhi University, Mumbai University, BHU, or JNU, among others, as the NAAC A label is advantageous when requesting waivers for the 16-year education requirement.
- Bridge or pathway program: This is a type of educational program that provides additional support and resources to help students transition from one academic level to another or from one education system to another. One example of such a program is for students who wish to pursue a graduate degree but do not have the required academic background. In such cases, the program may offer additional courses and support services to help the students acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to bridge the gaps in education and succeed at the graduate level.
- Additional qualification: Completing a master’s degree or a one-year PG diploma program can be an effective way to bridge the gap of 16 years of education for students who are seeking admission to universities in countries where 16 years of education is required for graduate studies.
MBA schools and Universities accepting 15 years of education
- Harvard Business School
- Stanford Graduate School of Business
- University of Virginia Darden School of Business
- Dartmouth University Tuck School of Business
- University of Pennsylvania Wharton School
- NYU Stern School of Business
- University of Chicago, Booth School of Business
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management
- Columbia Business School
- Southern Methodist University
- University of Texas Dallas
- University of South Carolina
- Babson College
Students are advised to reach out to universities before applying as the requirements are subject to change and they vary for different programs.
EdElevate’s expert guidance
Want to get started on your journey to your favourite university?
Our expert counsellors at EdElevate will guide you and help you throughout your application process with our unique offering of customised admission mentoring based on your interests, with coverage of the best colleges in every discipline. Right from choosing the best study abroad option for you to mentor you, to building a strong profile, we offer a variety of services to assist students in realising their dream of study abroad.
Apart from offering mentorship to students, we provide assistance in crucial admission processes including shortlisting universities based on the student’s unique profile and area of interest, essay ideation and brainstorming, essay review, reference letter and resume reviews, interview preparation sessions, and more.
With all of these advantages, EdElevate is the greatest place for you to join and work toward your dream of studying abroad and establishing a successful profession.
Attend a Discovery session at EdElevate today to chart out your road to success!