The SAT waiver enables students to be exempted or waived from submitting SAT scores as part of their college application process. Essentially, colleges and universities that waive the SAT requirement do not mandate students to submit SAT scores for admission consideration.
Typically, colleges and universities in the United States use the SAT, a standardized test, to assess the academic preparedness of applicants. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, several schools have waived the SAT requirement for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle or beyond.
The reasons behind waiving the SAT requirement vary, but generally, schools made this decision in response to the challenges that students faced in taking the test during the pandemic, including test center closures and health concerns. Some schools may also believe that the SAT is not an accurate measure of a student’s academic ability or potential and thus have waived the requirement altogether.
While many schools have waived the SAT requirement, some schools still require the SAT or have made it optional. Hence, it is essential for students to carefully review the admission requirements of each school they are interested in to determine if the SAT is required, optional, or waived
Strategy: What should you focus on if applying for SAT waiver universities?
For students applying to colleges or universities that have waived the SAT requirement, it can be helpful to keep in mind some useful strategies for their applications:
- Emphasize your academic record: With SAT scores not being required, your academic record will be more important. Make sure to have strong grades in your high school courses, especially in core subjects like English, math, science, and social studies.
- Highlight your extracurricular and community activities: Admissions officers will be interested in seeing your involvement in extracurricular activities, such as sports, clubs, volunteering, or internships. Be sure to mention your achievements and how they’ve helped you grow personally and contribute to your community. ( we can mention briefly about profile building here )
- Write compelling essays: Essays are a chance to showcase your writing skills, personality, and reasons for applying to the school. Use this opportunity to demonstrate your passion for your intended major, unique perspectives, and how you align with the college’s mission and values.
- Request effective letters of recommendation: Consider asking teachers, counselors, or others who know you well to write letters of recommendation that highlight your strengths, achievements, and potential. Choose people who can speak to your character, work ethic, and academic abilities.
- Apply early: Submitting your application early can boost your chances of admission and may also give you more financial aid options. Be sure to check each college’s early application deadlines and requirements.
Overall, presenting yourself as a well-rounded, passionate, and motivated candidate who is a good fit for the college is key for a successful application strategy to SAT waiver universities. Make sure to showcase your strengths, interests, and goals in each part of your application.
Popular Universities offering SAT waivers
- UC-Berkeley and all the UC’s
- Purdue University
- University of Washington
- Penn State University
- University of Illinois Chicago
- Michigan State University
- University of Minnesota
- Indiana University Bloomington
- George Washington University
- University of Chicago
General Admission Requirements
- Academic Transcripts: You will need to submit your academic transcripts or records from your secondary school (high school) and any post-secondary institutions you attended. These transcripts should show your grades or marks for completed coursework.
- English Language Proficiency: As an international student, you will typically need to demonstrate your English language proficiency by taking a standardized test such as the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Some universities may also accept other English proficiency tests.
- Letters of Recommendation: You will usually be asked to submit letters of recommendation from teachers or other individuals who can speak to your academic abilities, character, and potential. The number of required letters may vary, but typically two to three recommendations are expected.
- Common Application and other essays: Many universities require you to write a personal statement or essay as part of the application process. These essays provide an opportunity for you to showcase your experiences, goals, and why you are interested in the specific program or institution.
- Application Forms: You will need to complete the application forms provided by each university or through a centralized application system such as the Common Application. These forms typically ask for your personal information, educational background, extracurricular activities, and other relevant details.
- Financial Documentation: You may need to provide proof of your ability to finance your education in the US. This can include bank statements, sponsorship letters, or other financial documents that demonstrate your ability to cover tuition, living expenses, and other costs.\
- Application Fee: Most universities require an application fee to process your application. The amount varies between institutions.
In summary, obtaining a SAT waiver offers students a range of advantages. It ensures equal access to higher education, allowing students without access to test preparation resources or financial constraints to compete on a level playing field. With the waiver, students can concentrate on academic achievements and personal growth, allocating time and energy to activities that enhance their overall profile. Moreover, universities that offer SAT waivers prioritize a holistic review process, considering multiple aspects of a student’s application beyond test scores. This provides an opportunity for students to showcase their unique strengths and talents, fostering a more diverse and inclusive student body. Lastly, by removing the stress and anxiety associated with standardized testing, SAT waivers allow students to approach the application process with greater confidence and focus. Overall, SAT waivers offer students a pathway to success in college admissions by emphasizing their potential and individuality.
EdElevate’s expert guidance
Want to get started on your journey to your favourite university?
Our expert counsellors at EdElevate will guide you and help you throughout your application process with our unique offering of customised admission mentoring based on your interests, with coverage of the best colleges in every discipline. Right from choosing the best study abroad option for you to mentor you, to building a strong profile, we offer a variety of services to assist students in realising their dream of study abroad.
Apart from offering mentorship to students, we provide assistance in crucial admission processes including shortlisting universities based on the student’s unique profile and area of interest, essay ideation and brainstorming, essay review, reference letter and resume reviews, interview preparation sessions, and more.
With all of these advantages, EdElevate is the greatest place for you to join and work toward your dream of studying abroad and establishing a successful profession.
Attend a Discovery session at EdElevate today to chart out your road to success!