A large number of students today are opting for a course in Management Information Systems (MIS) in USA. Once equipped with a qualification in computer science and/or work experience in the IT industry, MIS becomes a favoured choice among many. If you have an inclination towards roles that allow you ‘manage’ information systems then you should consider a career in MIS. While studying MIS, you focus on the business side of information gathering and management. A career in MIS allows you to apply your technical as well management skills.
A degree in MIS ensures a plethora of opportunities across different areas of work such as core IT related profiles, consulting, information management, user experience, data science and analytics.
The following MIS and related courses in USA Universities are considered popular:
- Carnegie Mellon University (Heinz)- MISM
- Indiana University – Bloomington (Kelley)- MS IS
- University of California, Berkeley -MIMS
- University of Washington, Seattle – MS IM/MS IS
- University of Arizona – MS MIS
- Texas A&M University – MS MIS
- New York University – MS IS
- Syracuse University – MS IM
- SUNY Buffalo – MS MIS
- University of Maryland, College Park – MS IS/MIM
- University of Cincinnati- MS IS
- University of Illinois, Chicago- MS MIS
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor- MSI
- University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign- MSTM
- George Washington University- MS IST
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey- MS IS
- Illinois Institute of Technology- MS ITM
- Okhlama State University- MS MIS
- Santa Clara University- MS IS
- Northeastern University, Boston- MS IS
- University of Texas, Dallas- MS ITM
- University of South Florida- MS MIS
- Rochester Institute of Technology- MS IST
- University of North Carolina, Charlotte- MS IT
- George Mason University- MS IS
- University of Texas at Arlington- MS IS
- Illinois State University- MS IS
- University of Colorado, Denver- MS IS
Career Opportunities after MIS
After completing your education in MIS, you can look forward to having a lucrative career. We present below a few career options that you can aim to achieve after acquiring a Masters education in MIS.
Information Systems Manager
As an Information systems manager, you will be responsible for implementation and administration of the computer systems within your organization. You are likely to be also responsible for managing the software and hardware as well as technology-related projects.
Computer Systems Analyst
As a Computer systems analyst you are expected to introduce improved methods within the organization so as to achieve optimum utilization of the existing systems. You would also be required to analyse the need for developing entirely new computer systems and even carry out the development of these systems.
Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
After gaining few years of experience in any of the above mentioned roles, equipped with a degree in MIS, a position that you can eye is that of a Chief technology officer. In this role, you will be required to evaluate emerging technologies and analyse the benefits of implementation of these technologies in your organization. CTOs are also responsible for supervising the work of other IT professionals within the firm, devising the technical practices and procedures and carry out cost-benefit analyses.