World Education Services (WES) evaluation may be required for Indian students who are applying to universities for Graduate or undergraduate programs or seeking employment opportunities in the United States or Canada. The Indian education system and qualifications may vary significantly from those in North America, which is why a WES evaluation is valuable in determining the equivalency and authenticity of Indian educational credentials.
Typically, Indian students submit their academic documents, such as transcripts, degrees, diplomas, and mark sheets, to World Education Services (WES) for evaluation. WES reviews these documents, compares them to the education system in the United States or Canada, and issues an evaluation report that includes information about the Indian student’s education, such as the level of education achieved, the major field of study, and the U.S. or Canadian equivalent of the Indian credentials.
The World Education Services (WES) evaluation report is then used by universities, colleges, or employers in the United States or Canada to assess the eligibility and suitability of Indian applicants. This helps institutions gain insight into the academic background and capabilities of Indian students, making it easier to assess their qualifications for admission or employment purposes.
World Education Services (WES) Evaluation
Other players in the game
NACES-approved credential evaluation agencies
It’s important to note that while World Education Services (WES) evaluation is widely accepted, each university or employer may have its own unique requirements and may also accept evaluation reports from other recognized credential evaluation services. Therefore, it’s always recommended to verify with the specific institution or employer to determine their preferred credential evaluation process.
NACES, which stands for National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, is an organisation that sets guidelines and standards for credential evaluation services within the United States. Here is the list of the NACES-approved credential evaluation services:
- World Education Services (WES) at www.wes.org
- Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) at www.ece.org
- International Education Research Foundation (IERF) at www.ierf.org
- Center for Applied Research, Evaluations, and Education, Inc. (CARE) at www.careevaluations.org
- Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA) at www.foreigncredentials.org
- Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. (JS&A) at www.jsilny.org
- SpanTran: The Evaluation Company at www.spantran.com
- International Consultants of Delaware (ICD) at www.icdeval.com
- American Education Research Corporation (AERC) at www.aerc-eval.com
- Academic Evaluation Services, Inc. (AES) at www.aes-edu.org
Do you really need it?
World Education Services (WES) or any other credential evaluation is not required by all the universities in the USA and Canada. However, if any university on your wish list needs it, you cannot apply without the evaluation.
Hence, it is important to carefully review the admission requirements of each university you are interested in applying to. Their official websites or admissions offices will provide detailed information on the documents and evaluations they require from international applicants. If a WES or any other credential evaluation is listed as a requirement, then it would be mandatory to submit it for your application. It might be necessary for students who have completed 15 years of education and hold a BA, B.Com, or BBA degree.
When and How to Apply?
Consider your own timeline and availability. Provide yourself with ample time to collect all the required documents, fill out the application form with precision, and send the mandatory materials to the World Education Services (WES). By planning in advance, you can evade any last-minute rush or obstacles. If you are seeking admission to a university or college in the United States or Canada, review the application deadlines for international students. It is prudent to initiate the WES evaluation process much ahead of these deadlines to guarantee that your evaluation report is prepared and submitted in a timely manner.
Here’s how you can apply:
- Visit the World Education Services (WES) website (www.wes.org) and create an account.
- Select the type of evaluation you require, such as Course-by-Course Evaluation or Document-by-Document Evaluation.
- Enter your educational background details and the names of the institutions you attended.
- Submit scanned copies of your academic documents, such as transcripts, diplomas, degrees, mark sheets, etc.
- Pay the evaluation fee, which will depend on the type of evaluation you need and the turnaround time you desire.
- WES will begin the evaluation process upon receiving your payment and documents.
- Once the evaluation is complete, you will receive a WES evaluation report. You can choose to have the report sent directly to the institution or employer of your choice, or you can request a copy to be sent to you.
Please note that the application process may vary slightly depending on the type of evaluation you need and your specific circumstances. Therefore, it’s important to check the WES website for detailed instructions and guidance.
Fees and Validity
The fees vary according to the requirement. It ranges from $150 to $217. The World Education Services (WES) evaluation for Canada PR is valid for 5 years, in contrast to the standard education credential evaluation reports, which have no expiration date.
EdElevate overseas education consultants
Want to get started on your journey to your favourite university?
Our study abroad consultants at EdElevate will guide you and help you throughout your application process with our unique offering of customised admission mentoring based on your interests, with coverage of the best colleges in every discipline. Right from choosing the best study abroad option for you to mentor you, to building a strong profile, we offer a variety of services to assist students in realising their dream of studying abroad.
Apart from offering mentorship to students, EdElevate overseas education consultants provide assistance in crucial admission processes including shortlisting universities based on the student’s unique profile and area of interest, essay ideation and brainstorming, essay review, reference letter and resume reviews, interview preparation sessions, and more.
With all of these advantages, EdElevate is the greatest place for you to join and work toward your dream of studying abroad and establishing a successful profession.
Attend a Discovery session at EdElevate today to chart out your road to success!