The Master’s in Engineering Management (MEM) is a program at the graduate level that combines business principles and engineering knowledge. The goal is to equip professionals with the skills necessary to manage engineering projects and teams successfully. The program typically takes two years to complete, and applicants should have a solid background in engineering or a related field.
The curriculum of the MEM program covers courses in project management, engineering management, leadership, finance, marketing, and other business-related subjects. The purpose is to help students acquire the skills needed to manage intricate engineering projects, lead engineering teams, and make strategic decisions.
A graduate with an MEM degree can explore careers in various fields, such as technology, engineering, manufacturing, construction, and consulting.
Career Opportunities after MEM:
After completing a Master’s in Engineering Management (MEM), graduates have various career opportunities across different industries. Here are some examples:
- Project Manager: MEM graduates can pursue a career in project management, where they lead and manage engineering projects from start to finish.
- Engineering Manager: An engineering manager oversees engineers and engineering teams, ensuring that projects are completed on time, within budget, and meet quality standards.
- Operations Manager: Operations managers manage day-to-day business operations, including employees, production goals, and efficiency.
- Product Manager: A product manager oversees the development and launch of new products. They collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure products meet customer needs and are delivered on time and within budget.
- Consultant: MEM graduates can work as consultants, providing advice to companies on effective management practices for engineering projects and teams.
- Entrepreneur: Graduates with an MEM degree can start their own business in engineering or technology and apply their skills to effectively manage projects and teams.
Admission requirements for Master’s in Engineering Management (MEM) programs in the United States can differ depending on the institution and program. However, some common admission requirements that you may encounter include:
- Undergraduate Degree: A bachelor’s degree in engineering, science, or a related field from an accredited institution is required. Some programs may accept applicants with degrees in business, economics, or other fields.
- GPA: Most programs require a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. However, the GPA requirements can vary depending on the program and institution.
- Standardized Tests: You may be required to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). Some programs may waive these tests if you meet certain criteria, such as having a high GPA or significant work experience.
- Work Experience: Some programs require applicants to have relevant work experience in engineering or a related field. Other programs may consider work experience as a factor in the admission decision.
- Letters of Recommendation: You will likely need to submit two to three letters of recommendation from professors or professionals who can attest to your academic and/or professional abilities.
- Statement of Purpose: You will need to write a statement of purpose outlining your academic and professional background, your motivation for pursuing an MEM degree, and your career goals.
- English Language Proficiency: If English is not your first language, you will need to demonstrate proficiency in English by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
It’s important to keep in mind that the specific admission requirements can vary by program and institution, so it’s recommended to check the requirements for the programs you are interested in.
To pursue an MEM degree, one should research various programs and schools that align with their needs and career objectives. One should also consider the accreditation, faculty, curriculum, and career resources of the program.
EdElevate’s expert guidance
Want to get started on your journey to your favourite university?
Our expert counsellors at EdElevate will guide you and help you throughout your application process with our unique offering customised admission mentoring based on your interests, with coverage of the best colleges in every discipline. Right from choosing the best study abroad option for you to mentor you, to building a strong profile, we offer a variety of services to assist students in realising their dream of study abroad.
Apart from offering mentorship to students, we provide assistance in crucial admission processes including shortlisting universities based on the student’s unique profile and area of interest, essay ideation and brainstorming, essay review, reference letter and resume reviews, interview preparation sessions, and more.