Choosing the best university for your undergraduate Geology degree is not always easy – but we’re here to help!EdElevate is your undergraduate admission consultants in Delhi dedicated to helping you choose a university, prepare to study abroad, access information about costs and scholarships, and plan your future career.
Getting UG admission in USA is the commencement of your career and it turns into a stepping stone when you complete your undergraduate studies in USAfrom one of the top universities of USA. The United States is one of the prominent destinations for Indian students because of a vast number of academic options, flexibility of programs and quality of American education.
The best Geology program in US includes four weeks of advanced summertime fieldwork, after which you compare your research to the latest published works in the field. You may get hands on experience by visiting theoil, mining or engineering firms, the government and non-profits. The graduates may also recruited by the top graduate schools in the country.
Some jobs that are directly related to your degree include:
- Engineering geologist
- Geophysicist/field seismologist
- Seismic interpreter
- Wellsite geologist
Jobs where your degree may be useful are:
- Drilling engineer
- Environmental consultant
- Geophysical data processor
- Minerals surveyor
- environment professionals
- civil engineering
- Sustainability consultant
Fieldwork forms an essential part of your geology studies, since it provides necessary practical experience to complement what you learn in the classroom. You can find work experience opportunities in both India and overseas.
Some graduates choose to enhance their qualifications and skills, by doing paid or voluntary work on short-term environmental projects. Time spent undertaking work experience or shadowing can help you make decisions about your future career and you’ll find it motivating when you apply your expertise to solve problems in a different context.
Many geology graduates enter professions directly related to their degree. Popular roles include exploration and production, water supply, environmental engineering and geological surveying. Other areas include environmental planning, hydrogeology and pollution control.
Employment is often found within:
- the oil, gas and petroleum sector
- the groundwater industry
- environmental consultancies
- civil engineering and construction companies
- museums and government organizations for municipal development
Some experienced professionals may also become self-employed consultants
Skills for your CV
You will develop a specific knowledge of geology, related to your programme of study and module choices. The practical field work you carry out as part of your degree equips you with expertise in field and laboratory investigations.
Transferable skills from your course include:
- skills in observation, data collection, analysis and interpretation
- the ability to prepare, process and present data
- the ability to handle information in a range of different mediums, e.g. textual, numerical, oral, graphical
- written and verbal communication skills
- report writing skills
- problem-solving skills and lateral thinking
- self-motivation and resilience
- teamwork skills and the ability to work on your own initiative.
Higher study is a popular option for geology graduates. Taking a relevant Master’s course may be helpful, if you’re interested in getting into a particular field of geology, such as mining engineering, engineering geology or the minerals industry.
For example, getting aMaster’s in Science degree in petroleum geoscience is an option for those wanting to get into the petroleum industry. Other examples of postgraduate courses include:
- earth sciences
- nuclear decommissioning
- petroleum engineering
- petroleum geophysics
- waste management.
A number of students continue onto PhD’s.
- ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
- Harvard University
- University of California, Berkeley (UCB)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- University of Oxford
- University of Cambridge
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
- Stanford University
- Columbia University
- University of Washington
Leave your queries below or call us directly at +91-9810550107 to Book your Free Consultation Now!